Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Sweet angel boy


My heart is really sad today.
An amazing little boy passed away this morning.

I had the pleasure of knowing and loving Brendon Coates
for the past year and a half.
You can read his mom's blog here.

Brendon was diagnosed two years ago with a brain tumor called an ependymoma
and has fought bravely every day since.

I met Brendon when he was undergoing 6 weeks of daily radiation therapy
at Cooks in Fort Worth.
He had already been through surgery and chemo
and yet he still had a great attitude.

He would take his nap after radiation, then pop up in bed
laughing, telling jokes and ready to head down for his daily visit to the gift shop.
His cheerful disposition after going through so much
will always amaze and inspire me.

The tumor was "asleep" for almost a year and Brendon got to go home.
He went back to school and got his black belt in Kajukembo!

But unfortunately the tumor came back aggresively early this year.
His mom and new step-dad took him home in early August on Hospice.

I had the honor of getting to visit him last week when I was in Abilene.

Such a sweet and brave boy.

Finally his body is healed and he can rest.

Brendon, you will be missed always and forever.
See ya later, alligator.





2 comments:

Alison said...

Brendon was such a precious little boy and I know how special he was to you! What an incredible inspiration he will always be.

Team Leslie said...

What an adorable little guy! He was blessed to have known you - I'm sure you brought him so much joy!